Nikwax Down Wash Direct has been specifically designed and optimised for down-filled gear. It is a highly effective cleaner that removes body oils and dirt from both the fabric and the down fill. It also restores the Durable Water Repellency (DWR) of both the outer fabric and the down. This protects against rain and condensation, preventing the item from wetting out and maintaining the natural insulating properties of down. In addition, it revives breathability, allowing moisture vapour to pass through the item, optimising performance in cold and damp conditions.
Nikwax Down Wash Direct prolongs the effective life of your down gear. It is the safe way to thoroughly clean your down clothing and equipment. Application in a washing machine is quick, easy and ensures that the whole item is thoroughly cleaned.
WHY YOU SHOULD USE IT:
If your down items are relatively new, or have been recently treated with Nikwax Down Proof, then cleaning with Nikwax Down Wash Direct will not only remove contaminants, such as dirt and residues left behind by household detergents, but also revitalise insulation and restore DWR.
However, once the gear has been thoroughly used, you will need to add DWR, using Nikwax Down Proof, after cleaning first with Nikwax Down Wash Direct. This will add DWR to the outer fabric of the gear and also the down fill.
WHEN TO USE IT:
Sleeping bags and very large jackets are best hand washed in a bath or equivalent and then spin dried in a washing machine.
Use neat Down Wash Direct to treat stubborn stains before washing. Remove all non-washable parts. Shake well before use. Follow care label instructions. Do not use conventional detergents.
HOW TO USE IT:
Machine wash (for down clothing only):
- Use a front-loading washing machine only;
- Remove all detergent build-up from the detergent dispenser;
- Place maximum two items in washing machine;
- Add 100 ml;
- Wash according to care label, preferably on low setting and slow spin;
- After the washing cycle has finished run multiple spin cycles, each time incrementally increasing the spin speed, to remove excess water;
- Leave footwear to dry at room temperature;
- Paper can be stuffed into the toes to absorb excess moisture; this should be replaced when wet;
- Keep footwear away from fires and radiators as drying too quickly can crack leather and cause bonded soles to peel.