Anthron’s chest ascender AC-30 is made out of high quality materials and boasts a sturdy design with comparatively high rope breaking values. The cam and upper and lower entrance of the slot are specifically designed to let the rope slide through the device with little friction. It is certified according to the European standards EN 567 for sport use and EN 12841 type B for work at height use. According to the first standard it is tested to work with low stretch and dynamic ropes from 8 mm to 13 mm and according to second with type A low stretch ropes from 9 mm to 13 mm.
Two sub-types of the device exist: LORYsafe with unimpeded movement of the cam (for industrial use) and LORYsmart with impeded movement of the cam (also for sport use). Cam rotation impediment aids in feeding rope to the lead climber. By pulling the working end of the rope the cam engages and jams the rope. By pulling the handle the cam gradually releases the rope. If the handle is pulled down to its terminal position the double-stop function is triggered which blocks the rope again. To resume descending, return the handle in closed position and restart the process.
The lory Quick-lock can be used for:
- Work positioning and work restraint
- Releasable pulley systems
- Rated for a two person load
The functionality includes the following :
- Handles a much wider range of rope diameters than other similar device – from 9mm – 11.4mm – thereby providing versatility allowing one to use the right rope for the job.
- If the release handle is pulled too hard the unit locks; making it almost impossible to drop someone while lowering them.
- The unit only lowers if the handle is kept in a mid range position – which also makes abseiling much safer.
- Cam rotation impediment aids in feeding rope to the lead climber.
- By pulling the working end of the rope the cam engages and jams the rope.
- If the handle is pulled down to its terminal position the double-stop function is triggered which blocks the rope again.
- To resume descending, return the handle in closed position and restart the process.
- The unit can be pre-loaded & then locked with a maillon – which makes it very suitable for inclusion in emergency evacuation kits – especially when the user is not that familiar with abseiling.
- For the industrial/ rescue operative, its certainly easier to use & more secure than a many popular alternatives out there – and lighter & more compact.
- The unit is approximately the same size as a PDA (large cell phone) and is made largely of steel (handle included) which serves to enhance its durability.